Yesterday was a fantastic day. Mainly because I got to stay up later than normal, but also because of this thing called a parade. Mommy and daddy did not have anyone to babysit me (which sounds rather scary; I don't every want to be sit on), so they put me in my carriage to go for a walk. Mommy had on nice white pants with a dark blue shirt that said "Crystal Fire Company Ladies Auxiliary." Daddy was in something called a fireman's dress uniform. It was dark blue with shiny buttons on it. He had on white gloves and a funny hat that had a shiny pin on the front of it. Mommy tried to make me look like her and daddy. She put me in a white shirt with dark blue pants. We all matched. I was proud.
We walked a few blocks and stood on the side of the road where there were others dressed like mommy and daddy. There were also these big red trucks that were exciting to look at. Daddy pushed me over to the one that he said was his and the guy inside flipped a switch and all of these lights came on! It was amazing. I sat there in my carriage in awe of all the spinning lights.
Not long after that, another truck (which daddy said was the truck of the next town over) turned on its lights too! The man in that truck also made it make a loud screechy noise and blew some horns. It was scary. I started to cry so mommy came and picked me up. All of the guys dressed like daddy started yelling at the truck and it stopped. I didn't want to be put back into my carriage though so mommy carried me.
Daddy's fire truck put out onto the road with lots of others. Daddy and the guys like him walked out and stood in two lines in front of it. Daddy lined up behind the flag. Mommy and I walked out in front of them with other ladies. We all then walked down the street and people were cheering and waving. Some of the men that look like my great grampa stood up tall and straight with either their right hand on their chest or over their eyes. They looked like statues as we walked by.
As we walked further down the road, I saw my grampa and he took my picture. There were lots of people waving at me and taking my picture. I wonder if all babies like me get a parade in their honor. It sure was fun being out in front of everyone with them saluting and looking at me and having everyone get dressed up for me. I think I shall have a parade every year. They are fun!
Soon, we reached the house where the trucks live. When we got there, there was a big tent with things called rides and games. There were lots of people eating and talking, and even people a little bigger than me running around playing. Mommy and daddy went to this table and ordered something called clams. I don't know what they are but they stink! They look like rocks that have cracked open to reveal rubber things inside. Mommy and daddy ate them all and I tried to push them away when they kissed me. Yucky smelly things!
We then went to a place that smelled like great gramma's kitchen. Mommy got something called fried dough. It looked like a stick but had white specks all over it. When mommy ate it, she didn't stink anymore. I wanted some, but she said I was too little. Next year I can have some. I guess that means I will have a parade next year! Yay!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bruce, you did a wonderful job depicting the parade through your son's eyes. Your attention to detail and accurate descriptions allow the reader to visualize each animated event clearly.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy the stream of humor you add throughout your writing. Well done!
Bruce, What's great about this piece is that it is family history disguised as Hunter's journal. Years from now he will recall (or anyone reading your account will know) that you were a firefighter. I especially liked the images of the food you write about in this piece--tapping into that sense makes the festival atmosphere of the day ring true.
ReplyDeleteBruce, I agree with Betty and Lynne this is a great piece that your son will come to cherish as he grows up. My Dad is a firefighter too and I remember my first parade. Although I will never remember it quite the way my Dad did, with as much detail as you have provided in your writing. You did a really great job making the piece accessible to everyone. There are many places where the reader can make connections to your writing. This is a great piece and (I think) a good choice for next week's writing "final" piece!
ReplyDeleteRegardless of the time of year, parades are the coolest things when you're a kid! The sights and sounds and smells took me right there on the side of the road watching you march proudly down the street. Your description of Hunter getting to see you "represent" was cool and although he may not remember it, I'm sure you guys took plenty of photos and video to show him later. Having all of your family there as well made for a great day I'm sure. Nice story Bruce!
ReplyDelete